(Updated: April 13, 2010)
Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

I was quite eager to try the Vieux Carre, in part because I am a big fan of the Bluecoat gin from the same distiller. Unfortunately, this absinthe falls short of the standard set by the best American brands.

The color before water is a dark olive. It looks very natural, but is otherwise unremarkable. Fresh from the bottle, the aroma is mostly alcohol, with some herbal scents discernible as well. With the addition of water, a gradual louche forms, resulting in a translucent yellow jade. While nothing extraordinary, the results are generally pleasing.

The aroma after water is rather peppery, and while fresh and mild seems somewhat out of balance. This is even more true of the flavor, which is unbalanced to the point of being unacceptable. The predominant note is white pepper, and if it could be dialed down a bit, this absinthe would probably improve a great deal, because the anise and wormwood are present.

The finish is also mainly peppery, with the other herbal flavors being lost in the clamor.

Overall, I think this absinthe shows promise, but it remains a work in progress.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 3 3

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Post a Comment