(Updated: May 21, 2009)
Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

I hadn’t had a good absinthe in quite a while, and figured it was time to pick up a bottle. After poking around drinkupNY, it seems like fresh US offerings are being released every day, as the selection has gotten vast since my last purchase. Indeed, much to my surprise and delight, among the best of these (Vieux Carré) is from a local operation, Philadelphia Distilling Company. A quick stroll down to the local spirits shoppe, and I had a [rather attractive] bottle in hand.

I should preface this review by noting I haven’t had a great many absinthes to this point. Just Duplais Balance, Lucid, and US Kübler (Balance being far and away the best of them). Enough to more or less know what I’m talking about, but far from an expert.

-Color-
Neat, it tends more toward an aged absinthe’s feuille morte, amber-green, rather than the verdant green most expect. I don’t find this to be inappropriate or unattractive, so no points docked in this regard. However, there’s a notable (some might say significant) amount of particulate. It settles out when given enough time, but even a slight jarring of the bottle brings it all back into suspension. This may be a style/motif Philly Distilling is going for, and I don’t find it off-putting, but all the absinthe’s I’ve tried and seen have been filtered to clarity. I’d give it a five if it was crystal clear, but I’m going to have to dock a point for particulate. I’m tempted not to, as I feel this was a deliberate move on the part of the distiller, but for now it gets a point off.
4 of 5

-Louche-
Occurs fairly fast, as others note. Well on it’s way to complete opacity at 1:1, pretty much there at 2:1, and completely opaque at 3:1. Very nice oil trails, nice layering, and the characteristic opalescence of a good ‘sinthe. Still, though, a bit too quick, and not quite perfect.
4 of 5

-Aroma-
When cracking the bottle, one smells – wait for it – absinthe! It’s quite good, with the alcohol well masked. Alpine meadow is cliché, but nonetheless a good way of describing it. Definitely a step above the Kübler (one dimensional) and lucid (close to one dimensional). Hard to say how it stacks up to the Duplais (which I liked quite a bit), as its been over two years since I’ve had it. In all, I’d stop short of calling it an ephiphanal, room-filling majesty, but still very good, and better than all but the best.
4 of 5

-Flavor-
Very, very good. Sampled at the distiller recommended 3:1, which I found to be about ideal. Refreshing is a good way to describe it. Feels substantial in the mouth, not too thin. Mix of herbs. Nuances to explore. Still not what I’d call perfect, but very solid.
4 of 5

-Finish-
I think the finish is where this one stands out the most. It has a very alpine, almost citrusy effect that lingers for some time. Solid 5 in this regard.
5 of 5

-Overall-
A solid product, at a competitive price point. Definitely one to try, particularly if you’re in PA. Not what I’d consider a “grail” absinthe, but better than all but the best.
4 of 5
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Post a Comment