(Updated: January 29, 2011)
Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

EDIT: After sampling this more, I raised the finish to a 4.

The color was bit dark..a medium/dark olive oil green. When louched, it was a bit of murky yellow/white with a drab hint of green. Thick.

Louche was interesting, but very fast. Strong trails were quickly obscured by clouds that went to a thick heavy solid very fast. Like watching a great louche in fast motion.

Aroma...strong Italian herb up front...basil? Sage? I'm guessing basil. A nice floral element, but I had to hunt for the subtler details. Also an edge of citrus (a soft lemony trace?) Before louche, a strong alcohol up front.

Flavor was interesting. Different, yet drinkable. The anise was a bit too sweet for me, and again I got the feel of basil. There is a slight sour citrus edge as well...again that soft buttery lemon... This isn't going to be for everyone. My guess is you'll like it or you won't. I'm struggling on a 3 or 4 here, I'm going with a 3 because it isn't bad, but it isn't great. There can be conceptual variances in absinthe as long as they aren't ugly. I personally find the basil edge a bit much, and there's almost a dentyne gum flavor (am I dating myself?) a spicy cinnamon edge aftertaste that is a bit too much. Hey...it's a big world.

The finish was not as long or interesting as I'd like. Just a tingle on the tongue,
strong anise, spices, and again that tang of citrus. The finish was one of its highlights

Overall, I missed the lovely alpine aroma and herbs I've come to love in other absinthes. These were replaced by that Italian herbal edge. Not bad at all, just not what I would reach for on a regular basis. Bear in mind, as an apperitif, it might go wonderfully with certain food flavor profiles.

Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Post a Comment