No apologies here.
Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

Appearance: A rusty-raspberry tea color.

Louche: Lovely red gradient while louching, developing into a peachy opal with deeper reds and yellows. It's barely too thin, but not distractingly so.

Aroma: This is the first time I've had the chance to call an absinthe "nose-numbing". There's some wormwood here, as well as a tart berry-like smell and some sweet confection, along with a slight dry, dusty floral scent that's really pleasant.

Flavor/Mouthfeel: Not so much in the way of the "herbal" flavors of other absinthes, this is a bit more floral and leafy flavored. There's some nice wormwood and rose; a very nice bright and sharp taste.

Finish: It has a mentholated feel with some of the drying sensation I would associate with hibiscus, but it's not too distracting. It's very fresh, and has a grassy, cucumber-like finish.

Overall: I feel like most people want to try a rouge, because they're slightly different than the everyday faire, as well as (in theory) being attractively colored. What results is sub-par and oftentimes not-red or artificially-colored offerings that aren't nearly as good as other absinthes, and excuses have to be made as to why it's not great. Rubis IS great, and I'd willingly serve it to anyone without feeling I need to apologize for its shortcomings, as I'm hard-pressed to find any shortcomings.
A
Report this review Was this review helpful? 5 2

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account