A gateway to good Absinthe
Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

When I decided a year or so ago to experience absinthe, my choices here in Greece were quite limited. Czech Absinths on the one hand, which I found quite horrible. My first experience with "true" absinthe was Absente, which was many links above the Czech swill in the food chain, but still quite unsatisfying: the anise was overwhelming, it tasted very much like ouzo - pretty anticlimactic. I was about to give up on absinthe altogether, until one happy day I ran across Montmartre. Compared to Absente, it was like leaving a black and white medicine cabinet and entering an enchanted technicolor forest of herbs and spices. Complete with green fairies.

I have since tried other, and oftentimes better, absinthes, but Montmartre has a special place in my heart as it is the first good Absinthe I have tried. Its color and louche are absolutely first class. The aroma is a bit overwhelming, and could be too floral for many, but it does have a richness that is hard to beat. And several hidden surprising undertones to boot. What I enjoyed (and still enjoy) is Montmartre's finish, which is a pleasant reminder of having enjoyed a superior drink :)
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Post a Comment