Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

Color
Very clear amber with caramel tinges and glints of peridot at the edges. Although the dose poured is perfectly clear and bright, I can get only one pour per session like this (with a steady hand, and without up-righting the bottle, maybe two), since the bottom of the bottle has so much easily suspended sediment. It needs days of rest to get another clean pour.

Louche
A beautifully translucent and "gossamer" style that fits perfectly with the overall character of this absinthe. The primary color is like butterscotch with orange highlights, and refractions of milky blue, some green, and even a little rose as the glass is rotated. Very delicate, very pretty. Very nice action while forming.

Aroma
First of all... very different, very inviting. A beautiful bright, floral, and herbal center balanced by honeysuckle and citrus. Not tart or sour citrus, but more from the orange, tangerine, clementine family. Anise is in the background to support and legitimize this as absinthe. Further complexities added by hints of chamomile, lanolin, and beeswax.

Flavor
A delicate and gorgeous floral, dusty herbal, and wormwoody presence, backed up by the citrus and anise notes. A very classy, clean mouthfeel. And for all the components that lend an impression of sweetness, this is really much drier than most. The slightest hints of the aforementioned chamomile, lanolin, and beeswax impressions carry over to the palate making this just compli-tastic. An overall very feminine nose and palate impression.

Finish
I have no gripes with this finish. All the nose and palate impressions in a nice linear fade, followed by a gentle little drying "squeeze" on the tongue and upper palate. As it fades, the anise dances around the edges of all this in delicate little wisps. Not a monster long finish, but not short either. I think to expect it to be any longer is probably unreasonable, given the style. I had the primary finish impressions conservatively timed at 30 - 40 seconds.

Overall
This is a bottle of L'Italienne #1 that I have had for a little over a year. If you can't tell by now, I really like this one, a luscious offering from the Valle d'Aosta. It's beautifully delicate, feminine, floral, and sexy. I suspect this is a style that could have become a mess in the hands of another distiller, so congrats Stefano. Another aspect that really impresses me with this one is how nicely balanced it is at various temperatures from icy cold to room temperature. And speaking thereof, the only caution I would add here is that I definitely think this is best prepared with an icy cold very slow drip. My favorite dilution was a little north of 4/1. If you're the kind of drinker that only likes beverages that come at you like a freight train, look elsewhere. If you like subtle and seductive, this just might be for you.

Done with a 1 ounce dose, diluted 3/1, 4/1, 4.2/1, and no sugar.

L'Italienne 1/02/09, 1/10/10, 2/16/10.
All evaluations had consistent notes.
M
Top 10 Reviewer 53 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Post a Comment