(Updated: January 15, 2011)
Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

INTRODUCTORY NOTE: I enjoyed my sample at an approximate 3:1 ratio from an ice cold fountain of spring water, with a half cube sugar. The sample I was given had been at rest for at least 3 years now, properly stored. I think this may have had a positive effect on the previously reported heat, as there was none detectable, but possibly a negative effect on the color, more explained about that below.

COLOR: 4/5 - The color was green, with green highlights! There was no sign of sediment visible. The sample somewhat lacked that gem-like radiance, maybe an effect of aging, it did not shine with that illumination that would have pushed it into an Excellent rating. Still very, very acceptably pleasant.

LOUCHE: 5/5 - Very entertaining to watch! Slow oily trails that build with the first few splashes of cold water. These trails thicken and the swirling and layering in the drink brings out a stained-glass resemblance, with emulsion occurring thereafter, finishing to a pearlescent, opaque, minty-green. The spoon in my full glass was only visible about 3/4" beneath the surface.

AROMA: 4/5 - Quality herbs, and it is immediately noticeable upon first whiff of the cork/lid (this is how I get the best subtle whiff of straight liquor). Comments below represent opinion after louching.
Strong glorious wormwood front on the nose intro, backed by subtle fennel and sweet anise. Soft minty pontica. Attractive bouquet, but did not seem to perfume the area further than a foot or two from my glass, even during louche, hence I can't mark it as "expansive".

FLAVOR: 5/5 - Flavor very closely matched aroma. Well-executed, classic Pontarlier, which is exactly what I believe the creator was after. Quality coloring herbs gave the product a naturally floral tinge behind the strong presence of the holy trinity, with that aromatic A.a. in the driver's seat.

FINISH: 5/5 - Long-lasting wormwood bitterness perfectly balanced by fennel and anise, with some fruity piquancy on the back of the tongue. Satin finish to the louche that was very nice at 3:1, and I can only imagine it to be able to hold such a characteristic up to, if not beyond 4:1, but I like my drink a little strong. Flavor keeps going and going.

OVERALL: 5/5 - This is what I had envisioned the absinthe experience to be all about. The taste and aroma of this drink were captivating and engaging. Since I have sampled this absinthe, my repertoire has more than doubled, and this still remains a reference to me (and probably always will). I wish I were around for the inception of this brand, but consider myself extremely! lucky to have, through a very generous individual, been able to sample such a deserving spirit.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Post a Comment