(Updated: January 29, 2008)
Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

While this is one of my first Absinthes, and was my re-introduction to Absinthe after a sizeable hiatus, I found this to be a very straight-forward flavour. Definately exactly what one would expect from a fennel-anice liqour. I didn't get a distinct wormwood flavour from this however, and found that it took a much higher water:absinthe ratio to cut the strong alcohol kick this absinthe had. The louche was very good, in my opinon. Almost completely opaque, comperable to skim or even 2% milk. It does have a very strong nose, unlike other absinthes that I have tried. In fact, the potency of the nose on this was somewhat off-putting for me, it overpowered me and made it a much less enjoyable experiance. My partner however did greatly enjoy this, and feels that this is his favorite absinthe to date.

I originally wrote the above almost two years ago. Since then I have come to regard this as my favorite absinthe, and an excellent starting point for those interested in the drink. It is simple but it's simplicity is beautiful. It lacks the strong biting flavors of some more complex absinthes, but I don't hold that against it. It's cliche but less is more at times, and this is one of them. I have found that as this absinthe ages the nose becomes much less pungent, which is noteworthy for those sensitive to smells.

I keep coming back to this absinthe, and believe I will continue to do so.
M
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Post a Comment