(Updated: July 19, 2011)
Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

Color: As a blanche, it's hard to give too much detail about the color. It's clear and neutrally colored (no noticeable yellowness, etc.)

Louche: Louches fairly quickly with nice cloudy milk trails leading to a very opaque louche. Definitely a bit too thick, and it almost has a grainy appearance where it coats the glass.

Aroma: Not much to report here...very flat with a big kick of anise, a whisper of fennel, and not much else.

Flavor: Especially anise heavy, and maybe a but of a minty feeling...but there are no layers of flavors to experience. It has a hint of an unpleasant alcohol taste that is less like the flavor of high-proof absinthe, more akin to the flavor provided in my mid-shelf vodka days, but it's in no way overpowering or "raw". Very little (to almost no) wormwood to be found.

Finish: Not very lingering.

Overall: Mixed at a 1:3 ratio with no sugar, this absinthe is certainly decent, and what I would call an "everyday" type of absinthe. I've found it to be good for introducing people who may have never tasted absinthe before to see if they like the flavor. Where with some of the other absinthes I group into the mid-range category, I've considered going back to revisit them by purchasing another bottle, I don't see myself doing that with this one, as I don't feel there's much unique about it's character. That said, I'm not entirely sure I care for blanches in general. This is definitely a good choice if pickings are slim, but I would try to seek out more complex products, even if it requires spending a little more.
A
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Post a Comment