Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

-Color-
Before Water: Very clear and VERY green. It’s nice and attractive, but it’s hue may lead one to believe that it might be artificial, so I felt that a 5 couldn't be awarded.

Color After Water: a nice thick, translucent, milky green.

-Louche-
Beautiful water trails, great layering, with clouds forming, bouncing and swirling. Not too quick, not too slow. The clear green line at the top of the louche disappeared for me at about 2:1.

-Aroma-
Before water, anise and citrus with an interesting bitter edge. After water, complex tones are detectable, with anise, citrus, and floral notes that contrast with a bitter wormwood and almost iodine-like scent.

-Flavor-
A very bold and complex flavor- Sweet anise and citrus are the most obvious leading flavors, accompanied by the spicy and floral notes hinted at in the aroma. This is followed by a very powerful and contrasting bitterness.

-Finish-
Pleasantly substantial body with a spicy/bitter bite and a clean, lingering finish. When the bottle was first opened, I found the contrasting flavors to be unbalanced and a bit too much to be truly enjoyable. It took between three weeks to two months for this absinthe to really to really settle down. Once it smoothed out, I was able to really get into the complexity- particularly in the crisp, long lasting and constantly evolving finish.

-Overall-
This absinthe has taught me above all others about how breathing can be beneficial, and in this case, I’d say very important. Some may find the contrasts to be unpleasant, and I would probably hesitate to recommend this as first choice for someone brand new to absinthe. But given some time to mellow, I really enjoy this one for its intensity and flavor. I remember reading someone describing Duplais Verte as “Wagnerian”, which is a great term for this drink!

Notes: Louched 3:1 with medium fountain drip, no sugar (when first opened, sugar helped round out the rough edges, but after breathing, there is already enough sweetness to render sugar undesirable for me).

Bottle Date Aug 2007. Bottle opened February 2008, tasted Aug 2008.
G
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account