One-dimensional but pleasant substitute
Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

Color is artificial, as the label (honestly) attests. However, it's attractive and looks a lot like the real thing - a very nice, clear, peridot green.

As a friend said: "It's really pretty and it *looks* like a drink I'd really like, except I don't like licorice." Ah, there's the rub. Good thing that I *do* like

licorice.

Louche is not remarkable, but is acceptably dense. Louches early and action is not exciting. Color when louched is very pretty, almost authentic, but slightly on the day-glo side of green. It's chemistry, plain and simple, but chemistry by people who clearly care about the craft.

Aroma is pleasant but weak and one-dimensionally anise.

Pleasant but again, one-dimensional. Some welcome bitterness from the Southern Wormwood balances the flavor a bit.

Finish is short, shows some bitterness, but nothing that really lingers and makes you want to hit it again.

Overall, this a nice anisette liqueur that has no catastrophic flaws. I mean that sincerely; it is a well-made anisette absinthe substitute. It is a nice introduction to the anisette spectrum, and is up a notch in complexity from raki, arak, and other plain anisette beverages. In complexity, it is nowhere near real absinthe, but if you can't find the real thing, this will be (at least) a drinkable reminder.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 3

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Post a Comment