(Updated: July 09, 2010)
Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

Color: Clear with no visible sediment. The bottle presentation is very nice as well. Sophisticated.

Louche: The louche forms very nicely, with a vivid layering effect, ending milky white with touches of iridescent blue. Very inviting. Not too thick and not too thin.

Aroma: Before water, there is a subtle anise aroma that is dominated by the unmistakable aroma of Pontarlier wormwood. Very inviting. After water, the wormwood is still there, but the anise comes out more and is balanced out with the slight earthiness of fennel.

Flavor: Anise at the forefront, followed by a velvet-gloved slap of Pontarlier wormwood. While the sweetness is there, it's not cloying, like how I find a lot of blanche style absinthes. The bitterness and enjoyable astringency of the wormwood is right up my alley, and is much more a feature of the flavor map than with other comparable absinthes. Aside from Blanchette, I can't think of another blanche that has as refreshing of a flavor.

Finish: Velvety and smooth with lingering wormwood and just a touch of anise. I even get hints of violet and baby powder. Very enjoyable.

Overall: Try as I might (I don't like to be overly complimentary!), I can't find anything complain about unless I really want to nitpick. This is a very well made absinthe. For those of you who like blanches, but are looking for one that's a little less sweet, with a more forward wormwood profile, this is for you. This ranks in my top two favorite blanches. Well done.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 4 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account