Copyright 2018 - Custom text here

Review Detail

Taboo Gold
Traditional Absinthe
The absinthe has aged to olive, but it's much brighter than usual for having lost some green. Clear, no debris. The aroma is cologne-like. Floral wormwood, light anise, a tad fruity but more spicy.

The louche is quick but thin. It finishes a golden colour with greenish tones around the edges. It's nice but lacks depth. With water there's much more of an anise aroma, now in balance with wormwood. Sweet and a bit powdery.

It tastes bright and wormwood heavy, a tad bitter. There's a tart off-flavour that would bother me if it were any stronger but it's thankfully very light. Good anise but plays a background role. Dill. Somehow it makes me think of chewing flower petals and stems.

Anise finally blooms over a long, slightly bitter finish, mellowing to an earthy tone.

I'm normally a fan of wormwood-heavy absinthes but I feel like this one has an unfortunate hardness that could be remedied with a much fuller anise profile.
Overall rating 

Appearance 

Louche 

Aroma 

Flavor / Mouthfeel 

Finish 

Overall 

Reviewed by Andrew Young July 18, 2011
Top 10 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews (60)

Could use a bit of work.

The absinthe has aged to olive, but it's much brighter than usual for having lost some green. Clear, no debris. The aroma is cologne-like. Floral wormwood, light anise, a tad fruity but more spicy.

The louche is quick but thin. It finishes a golden colour with greenish tones around the edges. It's nice but lacks depth. With water there's much more of an anise aroma, now in balance with wormwood. Sweet and a bit powdery.

It tastes bright and wormwood heavy, a tad bitter. There's a tart off-flavour that would bother me if it were any stronger but it's thankfully very light. Good anise but plays a background role. Dill. Somehow it makes me think of chewing flower petals and stems.

Anise finally blooms over a long, slightly bitter finish, mellowing to an earthy tone.

I'm normally a fan of wormwood-heavy absinthes but I feel like this one has an unfortunate hardness that could be remedied with a much fuller anise profile.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account